Relocating To Arlington

Welcome to Arlington!  We hope you will find the following list of numbers and information helpful as you relocate to our great city.  Additional information can be acquired by calling the Arlington Chamber of Commerce at 817-275-2613.

Utilities & Services

The City of Arlingtons Water Department requires an $80 deposit.  New residents can apply for service by calling 817-275-5931.  For your convenience, there are two locations where you may apply in person during normal business hours:  City Hall, 101 W. Abram Street or 1100 S.W. Green Oaks Boulevard.

Texas has deregulated its electric utility market.  This means that you can choose from whom you buy your electricity, resulting in rates based on competition, not regulation. For more information about electric utility markets call Texas Electric Choice at 1-866-797-4839 or log on to their Web site at

Atmos Energy is the primary gas provider in Arlington. To set up service, please call 1-888-286-6700 or visit
To order new telephone service, move or change existing service at your home, call AT&T at 800-464-7928. 
Hearing impaired TDD/TY Equipment: 800-397-3172.

Garbage, sewer and recycling services are included with your water utility bill.

Cable Television
For cable television service in Arlington, contact Time Warner Cable Services at 972-742-5892.

Community Watch
To learn more about this program or to organize your own Community Watch, call the Arlington Police Community Affairs Division at 817-459-5725.

Licenses and Permits

Vehicle Registration
If you are a new resident of the state of Texas, to register your vehicle you must pay a registration fee, a new resident tax and a transfer fee.  Before registering your vehicle, you must have it inspected at a state-approved Safety Inspection Station.  After your vehicle has passed inspection, bring the completed inspection form, proof of liability insurance, your out-of-state drivers license and your title or out-of-state registration to the Tarrant County Sub-Courthouse (address below).  If your liability insurance is out-of-state, bring your declaration page from the vehicle insurance policy.  If your vehicle is leased, bring the lease agreement or another document that shows that sales tax has already been collected.  If you do not have a Texas drivers license, you will need a pay your fees in cash; checks will not be accepted.

Tarrant County Sub-Courthouse
700 East Abram Street
Arlington, TX
Vehicle registration information: 817-548-3935

Drivers License
Texas state law requires that you transfer your out-of-state drivers license to a Texas license within 30 days of your arrival.  Prior to obtaining your new license, your vehicle must have passed a vehicle safety inspection, and it must be registered (see Vehicle Registration above).  Bring proof of registration, your valid out-of-state drivers license and your Social Security card to:

Texas Department of Public Safety
3901 W. Arkansas Lane, Suite 111
Arlington, Texas

Hours of operation: Monday Thursday 7:30 AM 6:00 PM Friday:  8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Marriage License
Tarrant County Sub-Courthouse
700 East Abram Street
Arlington, Texas 76010

U.S. Passports / Court Document Look-Up
Tarrant County Sub-Courthouse
700 East Abram Street
Arlington, Texas 76010

Hours of operation:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
For fees and information visit

Dogs and cats must be registered with the city.  You may do this by contacting any Arlington veterinarian or the Animal Services Center, located at 5920 W. Pioneer Parkway.  For more information, call 817-451-3436.  Arlington has a leash law for both dogs and cats.
Arlington Humane Society:  817-468-0444

Other Information

Post Office
Main Post Office
300 E. South Street
Arlington, TX

Call 800-275-8777 for information on the location of the post office nearest you.

City Information
City Hall
101 W. Abram
Arlington, Texas 76010

Information Line:  817-275-3271
City Information Desk:  817-459-6400
Hearing Impaired (TDD Phone):  817-459-6156

Arlington Independent School District
Phone: 817-460-4611
Address: 1203 W. Pioneer Parkway

Property Taxes
Tarrant Appraisal District
2500 Handley-Ederville Road
Fort Worth, Texas 76118

Tarrant County Sub-Courthouse
700 East Abram Street
Arlington, TX 76010

There is one major news publication that services Arlington - The Star-Telegram:  817-548-5400